Types of English Children's Literature: Fiction Series


Figure 1.--One especially noted series was C.S. Lewis books about Narnia. Lewis' work is an esopecially well written and imaginative account. The artist is not indicated.

There were serveral popular series of fiction books. While often held in low esteem by teachers, these books were very poular with young readers. I am not sure why children are especially foind of book series. Presumably it is their familiarity with the characters that attracts then. Of course the most prolific writer of children's books was Enid Blyton. Her two most famous series were The Famous Five and the Secret Seven, but there were many more. One especially noted series was C.S. Lewis books about Naria. Lewis' work is an esopecially well written and imafinative account. Other series included the Willam and Jennings books. I am sure our English readers will know severla more.

James Bigglesworth

James Bigglesworth or Biggles was one of the most popular boys' novels in the 1950s. These were really children's literature, but the Biggles' books were so popular that Biggles have to be considred as an important English literature character. James Bigglesworth, or Biggles as he is better known, was created by Captain W.E. Johns. Johns wrote 80 books about Biggles and his airplane adventures. The Biggles saga begins in India--Britain's most important colony. He was born in May or August 1899. As was the case for many British boys in India, Biggles was sent home to go to school at age of 12. (Some British boys were sent home for their prep school.) Biggles apparently had trouble with India's tropical climate. He was sent home to England because he coudn't take the climate. At about age 15, Biggles begins at Malton Hall boarding school which focuses on preparing the boys to enter a military academy. Biggles was not the normal English school story. In fact, it was an aviation adventure story. In many ways, however, Biggles was a school story set in the RAF. He is perhaps better known as an aviation hero.

Billy Bunter

One of the most famous British public (private) school boy is Billy Bunter. The series of books was written by Frank Richards. At one time it was so popular that it was transmitted at 5.25pm for children and again two hours later for the parents! Bunter's teacher was Mr. Quelch (Kynaston Reeves) and Harry Wharton, Bob Cherry, Inky, Ram Singh, Frank Nugent, Mauly, and the bully Coker were his schoolchums at Greyfriars School. He loved jam tarts particularly.

Famous Five

Another famous Enhlish literary character was really a group consisying of five children. This was a children's series created by Enis Blyton. It was one of the most popular series of children's books in England and America. The books were translated into many languages. The boys were commonly costumed in inter-War era, jumpers, short trousers, and sandals.

Jennings

Jennings is one of the most famous English school boy. Jennings as he was usually referred to is a prep school boy. (Although elementary age boys, they used their last names. In fact I don't even know his first name.) The other famous schollboy was Jennings who went to a state elementary school. The first Jennings story was serialised on the radio in 1948. Two years later the first Jennings book was released, authored by Anthony Buckeridge. One musical, several plays, 22 books and nearly 10 million sales later, the Jennings books are still enjoyed, and generation after generation have been able to read about "that boy Jenning's exploits". He was educated at Linbury Court Preparatory School.

Just William

Richmal Crompton's William Brown is the one of the two most famous schoolboy in English literature. (The other of course is Jennings.) William is the youngest son in the Brown family. He is a bright-eyed boy with unrully brown hair. He is full of life, if only the adult world of parents, teachers, vicars, and other assiociated figures of authority "would leave him to it," as the Englih would say. The author wrote about 40 books, from 19?? to 19??, beginning with Just William. The books were written for children and were profusely illustrated, providing a detailed source of images on English schoolboy dress during the 19??s. As many episodes take place out of school and include other children, the books provide an overall picture of English boyhood clothes.

Narnia

C.S. Lewis is very well known author who's fantasy stories have been compared to Tolkien. He lived in the first half of the 20th century and was a renowned academic. 'The Chronicles of Narnia' are not unlike Tolkiens 'middle earth' where the classic battle of good versus evil is fought over in epic proportions in a fantasy setting. It is covered over several stories. Amongst others are 'The Magician's Nephew' and 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'. The cover art is also a fine example of the airbrush technique which was made so popular by artists such as Steve Howe and Stanley Mathews on LP covers during the 1970s and 80s. (Genesis, Yes, Nazareth and so on). Lewis uses anthroiporformism with the animals taking on human characteristics and can speak--often used in Disney movies, children's stories and elsewhere. Such is the case in Lewis's stories where animals converse with the characters. This is of course a popular appraoch in children's literature.

Secret Seven

The Secret Seven is another group of English children created by Enid Blyton. The books are about a secret club with official meetings and everything. The club members were Peter, Jack, Barbara, George, Pam, Colin, Janet and of course Scamper (the dog). These books are not great literature, in fact, English teachers one discouraged children from reading them. HBC has, however, included them because of the huge number of children who read them and Blyton's enormous ability to interest children in books and reading..

Starling, Jim

E.W. Hildick (1925- ) wrote the "Jim Starling"-series. Our information on this chharacter is stll very limited. Jim Starling is an English boy who visits a Technical school at Cement Street. His friends are: Terry Todd, Grimshaw and Nip Challons. The first "Jim Starling" book was published in 1958 in England, known just as Jim Starling. Several books in the series were published in the United States.





HBC







Navigate the HBC literary pages' Historical Clothing Web Site:
[Return to the main Main English non-fiction children's book type page]
[Return to the main Main children's literary page]
[Return to the main Main literary page]



Navigate the Boys' Historical Clothing Web Site:
[Introduction] [Activities] [Biographies] [Chronology] [Clothing styles] [Countries] [Girls]
[Bibliographies] [Contributions] [FAQs] [Glossaries] [Images] [Links] [Registration] [Tools]
[Boys' Clothing Home]




Created: Seoptember 10, 2003
Last updated: September 10, 2003