Old Mali and the Boy (England, 1964)


Figure 1.--A HBC reader reports, "I've never read "Kim" but this reminded me of a book I read in my first year at secondary school. Each term we would read a book as a class and discuss it. This was the first one we read Old Mali and the Boy by D.R. Sherman. It's a powerful story about an English boy in India.

A HBC reader reports, "I've never read Kim but this reminded me of a book I read in my first year at secondary school. [HBC note: Kim of course is anout another English boy growing up in India.] Each term we would read a book as a class and discuss it. This was the first one we read Old Mali and the Boy by D.R. Sherman. The author was from Rhodesia--now Zimbabwe. It's a powerful story about an English boy in India. The book starts in his school but most of it is set in the forest. There is some description of clothing but mostly the idea comes from the cover illustrations. I still have a copy.The next book we read was Lord of the Flies which I also liked. At least my secondary school tried to get us to read books that were more relevant to our lives than the established "Classics" like Dickens, at least in the first couple of years in the school. I still have a copy of the book. I think it would make a good film." The book is about Jeffrey, a 12-year- old fatherless boy. He loves listening to the stories told by his mother's gardener, Old Mali a wise and humble elderly man. Youthful readers report being very impressed with the book. "The first novel that brought tears I read this book when I was in grade six. It was required reading in Southern Africa. I remember, it is the first book that brought tears in my eyes." "A book to remember. My 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Mayo, used to read a chapter of this book to our class at the end of each day. While the details of the story may be fuzzy now, I remember how much we all looked forward to hearing the next installment." "An Oustanding piece of work!!! THe way everything is descripted in this book, the details and actions that take place in the forest, EVERYTHING, even at the end, THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ IN MY LIFE. It deserves a movie!!!"








HBC







Navigate the Boys' Historical Clothing Web Site:
[Return to the Main English children's book page]
[Introduction] [Activities] [Biographies] [Chronology] [Clothing styles] [Countries] [Literature] [Theatricals]
[Bibliographies] [Contributions] [Essays] [FAQs] [Glossaries] [Satellites] [Tools]
[Boys' Clothing Home]



Created: February 4, 2004
Last updated: February 4, 2004